I received my diploma in Computer
Science from the University of
Freiburg in Germany. Afterwards, I was a researcher
at the University of
Innsbruck in Austria and at the University of Mannheim in
Germany and also worked at the State
Archive of Saxony-Anhalt in
and Information Integration in the Semantic Web. The latter is also the
topic of my PhD. The projects I worked in range from EU
funded projects like the projects SEKT and DIP to national funded
projects like SemNetMan and a project within the german
programme. My reviewing activities range from numerous workshops and
conferences to journals like the Semantic Web Journal, the Journal of
Data Semantics, the
Knowledge and Information Systems Journal and the Data & Knowledge
Engineering Journal. I was also involved in research project proposal
reviewing for the 7th
Framework Programme of the European Union.
My research interests involve different kinds of
topics in the area of knowledge representation, knowledge management
and reasoning. My PhD research aims at
tackling a specific problem in this area, namely Information
Integration and Information Retrieval in the Semantic Web. This work is
motivated by the fact
that the amount of information describing overlapping domains by means
of distributed ontologies is increasing. Therefore, the necessity to
apply automatic matching and integration techniques in order to
integrate that huge amount of information needs to be faced. However,
the results of
automatic matching and integration techniques per se are attached with
some sort of uncertainty. E.g. any matcher produces its mappings with a
confidence represented by a number between 0 (= a mapping does
certainly not hold) and 1 (= a mapping does certainly hold). Those
confidence numbers usually lie in the interval (0,1), i.e. 0 and 1 are
very seldomly met. My research revolves around developing an integrated
framework for modelling the results of those uncertain matching
techniques by means of probability theory and reasoning with
uncertain mappings and deterministic ontologies. Of course, this
framework can also be used with the Linked Open Data cloud.
Recently, I have also become involved in university
didactics research. My research interest in this area focuses mainly on
didactis and assessment
within long-term software implementation
projects in teams at University. During my work at the state archive of
Saxony-Anhalt, I have also discovered Digital Archives as a very
interesting and promising research area especially when combined with
knowledge management and semantic web research yielding Semantic
- Organizing Committee Membership:
- 2nd Workshop on Semantic Digital Archives (SDA 2012)
- 1st Workshop on Semantic Digital Archives (SDA 2011)
- Program Committee Membership:
- Workshop on Uncertainty
Reasoning for the Semantic Web (URSW 2012)
- Workshop on Ontology Evolution and Ontology Dynamics (EvoDyn 2012)
- The 6th International Conference on Advances in Semantic Processing (SEMAPRO 2012)
- Workshop on Knowledge
Ontology Dynamics (EvoDyn 2011)
- Workshop on Uncertainty Reasoning for the Semantic Web (URSW 2011)
- Workshop on Uncertainty Reasoning for the Semantic Web (URSW 2010)
- Workshop on Uncertainty Reasoning for the Semantic Web (URSW 2009)
- Workshop on Uncertainty Reasoning for the Semantic Web (URSW 2008)
- European Semantic Web Conference (ESWC 2008) Poster Session
- Workshop on Uncertainty Reasoning for the Semantic Web (URSW 2007)
- The International Conference on Semantics (Semantics 2006)
- University of Mannheim:
- Spring/Summer Semester 2010 and Autumn/Winter Semester 2010:
student team project about Hybride Massivparallele Virtuelle
Umgebungen (assistance & advisory on didactics and assessment)
- Spring/Summer Semester 2009: Knowledge Management (Lab: semantic integration of databases with F-Logic and OntoStudio)
- Autumn/Winter Semester 2008: Semantic Web Technologies (Lab)
- Spring/Summer Semester 2008: Künstliche Intelligenz (readings held on the topics: Uncertainty, Bayesian Networks, Machine Learning)
- Spring/Summer Semester 2007: Künstliche Intelligenz (readings held on the topics: Uncertainty, Bayesian Networks, Machine Learning)
- Autumn/Winter Semester 2006: Semantic Web Technologies (Lab)
- University of Innsbruck:
- Spring/Summer Semester 2005: Algorithmentheorie (Lab)
- Roland Koch (Student Research Project)
- Yvonne Miklosch (Hiwi)
- Irfan Sahillioglu (Student Research Project)
- Edited Books:
- Annett Mitschick, Fernando Loizides, Livia Predoiu, Andreas
Nürnberger, Seamus Ross. Proceedings
of the 2nd International Workshop on Sematic Digital Archives,
Paphos, Cyprus, September 27, 2012. CEUR workshop proceedings, Volume
- Livia Predoiu, Steffen Hennicke, Andreas Nürnberger, Annett Mitschick, Seamus Ross. Proceedings of the 1st International Workshop on Semantic Digital Archives, Berlin, Germany, September 29, 2011. CEUR workshop proceedings, Volume 801, 2011
- Journal Papers:
- Thomas Lukasiewicz, Livia Predoiu and Heiner Stuckenschmidt. Tightly Integrated Probabilistic
Description Logic Programs for Representing Ontology Mappings.
Annals of Mathematics and Artificial
- Tightly Coupled Probabilistic Description Logic
Programs for the Semantic Web. Journal
Semantics 12, 2009
- Guarded hybrid knowledge bases. Theory and Practice of Logic Programming, 8, 2008, 3. .
- Book Chapters:
- Probabilistic Extensions of Semantic Web Languages - A Survey. The Semantic Web for Knowledge and Data Management: Technologies and Practices, Idea Group Inc, 2008. .
- Rule-Based Approaches for Representing Probabilistic Ontology Mappings. Uncertainty Reasoning for the Semantic Web I, 5327, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer, 2008. .
- Semantic Web Languages and Ontologies. Encyclopedia of Internet Technologies and Applications, Information Science Reference, IGI Global, 2007, 512-518. .
- Conference Papers:
Integrated Probabilistic Description Logic Programs for Representing
Ontology Mappings. Proceedings
the International Symposium on Foundations of Information and Knowledge
Systems, Pisa, Italy, 2008.
- Representing Ontology
Mappings with Probabilistic
Description Logics Programs. Proceedings
Mondello, Italy, 2008, extended
- Learning Complex Ontology Mappings - A Challenge for ILP Research. Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on Inductive Logic Programming (ILP-08), Prague, Czech Republic, 2008 .
- Probabilistic Information Integration and Retrieval on the Semantic Web. Proceedings of the 6th International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC), Pusan, Korea, 2007. .
- A Social Networking Model of a Web Community. Proceedings of the 10th International Symposium on Social Communication, Santiago de Cuba, Cuba, 2007. .
- Workshop Papers:
- Livia Predoiu. Didaktik und
Bewertung in längerfristigen
Teamprojekten in der Hochschullehre. Proceedings des 6.
der GI-Fachgruppe "Didaktik der Informatik", Oldenburg, Germany, 2010
- A Reasoner for
Generalized Bayesian DL-Programs. Proceedings of the Fourth
International Workshop on Uncertainty Reasoning for the Semantic Web,
- Andrea Cali, Thomas Lukasiewicz, Livia Predoiu, Heiner Stuckenschmidt. A Framework for Representing Ontology Mappings under Probabilities and Inconsistencies. In Proc. of the Workshop for Uncertainty Reasoning on the Semantic Web (URSW) in conjunction with the ISWC, Busan, Korea, 2007
- Livia Predoiu, Heiner Stuckenschmidt. A Probabilistic Framework for Information Integration and Retrieval on the Semantic Web. Proceedings of the 3rd International Workshop on Database Interoperability (InterDB) in conjunction with the VLDB conference, Vienna, Austria, 2007.
- G-hybrid Knowledge Bases. Proceedings of the International Workshop on Applications of Logic Programming in the Semantic Web and Semantic Web Services (ALPSWS 2006) in conjunction with the FLoC conference, Seattle, USA, 2006. .
- Livia Predoiu. Information Integration with Bayesian Description Logic Programs. In 3rd IIWeb Interdisciplinary Workshop for Information Integration on the Web in conjunction with the WWW 2006 conference, Edinburgh, Great Britain, 2006
- Knud Möller, Livia Predoiu. On the Use of FOAF in Semantic Web Portals. In 1st Workshop on Friend of a Friend, Social Networking and the Semantic Web, Galway, Ireland, 2004
- Standardization/W3C Submission:
- Jos de Bruijn, Dieter Fensel, Uwe Keller, Michael Kifer, Holger Lausen, Reto Krummenacher, Axel Polleres, Livia Predoiu. Web Service Modeling Language (WSML). W3C Member Submission, 2005.
- Technical Reports and Theses:
- Annett Mitschick, Livia Predoiu, Fernando Loizides, Andreas
Nürnberger, Seamus Ross. Report
on the 2nd International Workshop on Semantic Digital Archives 2012
(SDA 2012). D-Lib Magazine (18)11/12, 2012, to appear
- Livia Predoiu, Andreas Nürnberger, Seamus Ross: Report on the 1st International Workshop
on Semantic Digital Archives 2011 (SDA 2011). D-LIB Magazine
- Livia Predoiu. Leistungsbewertung
Wirtschaftsinformatik. University of Mannheim, 2010 (Theses for
University Didactics certificate)
- Livia Predoiu, Stephan Grimm. Reasoner Technology Scan and Recommendation, 2006 (for the DIP project)
- Livia Predoiu, Cristina Feier, Francois Scharffe, Jos de Bruijn, Francisco Martín-Recuerda, Dimitar Manov, Marc Ehrig. State-of-the-art survey on Ontology Merging and Alignment, 2006 (for the SEKT project).
- Jos de Bruijn, Cristina Feier, Uwe Keller, Ruben Lara, Axel Polleres, Livia Predoiu. WSML Reasoner Survey, 2005 (for the WSML working group).
- Jos de Bruijn, Holger Lausen, Reto Krummenacher, Axel Polleres, Livia Predoiu, Michael Kifer, Dieter Fensel. The Web Service Modelling Language WSML, 2005 (for the WSML working group).
- Uwe Keller, Rubén Lara, Holger Lausen, Axel Polleres, Livia Predoiu, Ioan Toma. Semantic Web Service Discovery, 2005 (for the WSML working group).
- Jos de Bruijn, Reto Krummenacher, Holger Lausen, Axel Polleres, Livia Predoiu. Ontology Representation Language, 2005 (for the DIP project).
- Jos de Bruijn, Francisco Martín-Recuerda, Marc Ehrig, Axel Polleres, Livia Predoiu. Ontology Mediation Management, 2005 (for the SEKT project).
- Livia Predoiu, Francisco Martín-Recuerda, Axel Polleres, Cristina Feier, Adrian Mocan, Jos de Bruijn, Fabio Porto, Doug Foxvoq, Kerstin Zimmermann. Framework for Representing Ontology Networks with Mappings that Deal with Conflicting and Complementary Concept Definitions, 2004 (for the DIP project).
- Knud Möller, Livia Predoiu. Portal Ontology, 2004 (for the Semantic Web Portal working group).
Presentations:I started to keep track of my presentations in 2010. However, two selected invited talks are mentioned at their most succinct as well.
Exchange, GI-Dagstuhl-Seminar Data
Streams at Schloss Dagstuhl, Germany,
- Didaktik und Bewertung in längerfristigen Teamprojekten in der Hochschullehre, DDI 2010 in Oldenburg, Germany, 17.09.2010 (in german)
- Web 3.0, 7th Web Monday of Magdeburg, Germany, 12.07.2010 (in german)
Talk at the Queen Mary Information Retrieval Group in London, UK,
- G-hybrid Knowledge Bases,
Freiburg, Germany, 28.10.2006